Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What's cooking?


Today I'm whipping up some of my favorite recipes. I decided to make a meatloaf, mash potatoes, and green beans tonight. My husband loves my spicy meatloaf. He hasn't always liked meatloaf (have to agree) because most meatloaf recipes are too bland. But I found a good one a few years ago while flipping through some cookbooks. It's made with horseradish and spicy mustard. Over the years I've added a secret ingredient (by accident). However, it's pretty good.

My favorite thing to collect are cookbooks. I've found some great ones. I just ran by Half Price Books the other day and found a jewel. It's a Brennan's cookbook. If y'all aren't familiar with Brennan's it's a famous restaurant in New Orleans/Houston. Oh, do they serve the best dishes. I'm getting hungry thinking about it http://www.brennansneworleans.com/

My husband got me a subscription for Louisiana Cooking magazine for my birthday this year. It has some fantastic recipes. However, he's more into seafood since he was raised on the Gulf. Me, I'm more into Chinese and Mexican food since I was raised on the West Coast. The Mexican food is really different out in Texas. They call it "Tex-Mex." It's good but different. When I was living back in Austin I would eat at a place called, Mesa Ranch Grill. They had the best fried cactus in world. It's sooo good http://www.mesaranchaustin.com/ I use to live just around the corner from the one in north Austin. My husband and I would walk down and have our fill and work it off with a brisk walk home. The food reminds me a bit more of what I grew up on.
Back in San Francisco, my favorite Chinese restaurant is the Four Seas http://www.fourseasr.com/ I like the lunch buffet. Here in Houston, they have a pretty good size Chinatown, I found a place called, Nit Noi, http://www.nitnoithai.com/ that I like. I also found a few other restaurants in Houston I like such as Dolce Vita Pizza http://www.dolcevitahouston.com/ Mama Ninfas http://www.mamaninfas.com/
What are some of your favorite restaurants/dishes? As you can see, I'm a big time foodie. I heart food! I enjoy looking over menu's and creating dishes with new ideas. It's something that I like to do (research restaurants). Sort of how a realtor loves to look at real estate in other regions; I enjoy looking at restaurant websites and reading the menu's, lol. Ok, I have to run. I have something in the oven. By the way I just posted a new banana pudding recipe on my cooking blog http://www.gigikitchen.blogspot.com/ It's a good one!

6 comments:

  1. Wow sounds amazing honey! Can I come over for dinner? Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about food...making it, eating it, talking about it! My favorite restaurants tend to be ones that make food that is better than what I could make at home. I almost never order steak in a restaurant because we have grilling down pat at our house, but I cannot make Mexican food as well as my favorite Mexican restaurants can!

    Side note - I LOVE Half Price Books. I'm so glad we have one here. Whenever we want to by a book, we always check Half Price Books or paperbackswap.com first to see if they have it. I highly recommend paperbackswap.com - they have lots of cookbooks there!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was the dinner? I wish we lived closer too! If you ever come out to California for a visit we have to meet up! Hope you have a great night honey. Thanks for commenting on my Public Enemies post! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cook books also,Ithink i have about 300 - but my favs are the old ones. What's the secret ingredient? Share Share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a foodie too. I love, love food and really good food. This is probably why I have an issue right now with losing weight. Boo!

    I'm so glad you found Dolce Vita. LOVE it! Have you tried any of the Greek food in Hou? SAT does NOT have good Greek food. Cry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You already know I'm a foodie. I know the Louisiana Cooking magazine very well too :) I should do a post on my cooking blog about different restaurants in our area. You just gave me an idea :)

    ReplyDelete